[I18ndir] I18ndir early review of draft-schanzen-gns-10

Jiankang Yao via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Fri, 04 March 2022 10:04 UTC

From: Jiankang Yao via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: i18ndir@ietf.org
Cc: draft-schanzen-gns.all@ietf.org
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2022 02:04:43 -0800
Subject: [I18ndir] I18ndir early review of draft-schanzen-gns-10

Reviewer: Jiankang Yao
Review result: Not Ready

Some review comments below:
1)This document says something about internaitonalisation, but some wording
related to internaitonalisation make the readers confusing. For example, in
section 5.2.2, there is a definition " DNS NAME  The name to continue with in
DNS.  The value is UTF-8 encoded and 0-terminated." It seems to indicate that
the DNS name can be UTF-8. If it is a DNS name, it should be in ASCII, not in
UTF-8 because all names including IDN stored in DNS are in ASCII or A-label
form.

2)It seems that both this system and current DNS share the same name space. So
it is possible that two name spaces will collide with each other in the future.
It may confuse the future applications when looking up for the same name. Does
this name belong to DNS or GNU name system?

3)It is interested to know that there is a section named with "GANA
Considerations". It seems that GANA will replace some function of IANA.
  If we follow the current way, the parameters produced by this document need
  to be managed by IANA instead of GANA.

4)ICANN manages the DNS name root space. I suggest to ask some experts from
ICANN to review this document.