Re: [i2rs] I2RS charter

Russ White <russw@riw.us> Mon, 24 December 2012 13:13 UTC

Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2012 08:13:23 -0500
From: Russ White <russw@riw.us>
To: i2rs@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [i2rs] I2RS charter

> Here is my suggestion based on:
>   draft-atlas-irs-problem-statement section 3
>   draft-keyupate-irs-bgp-usecases
>   draft-white-irs-use-case-00.txt section 2
>   draft-white-irs-use-case-00.txt section 3
>   draft-white-irs-use-case-00.txt section 4
>   draft-amante-irs-topology-use-cases

My sense is we (the authors of each of these documents) should combine
the sections indicated into one document --this would expidite the
work... We can work together to build a single "leftovers" document, or
figure how to structure another set of documents that could be used for
future phases of work after this initial batch is considered.

> NEW
> - Tightly scoped key use cases for operational use of I2RS. These use cases will
> include at least:

My only objection here is the words "at least..." I think we want to
restrict the charter at this point, not set ourselves up to increase
scope from the start. I think we're looking for an upper bound, not a
baseline.

>    o Interactions with the RIB. Allowing read and write access to the RIB and to
> the policies used to construct the FIB, but no direct access to the FIB.
>    o Control and analysis of the operation of BGP including the setting and
> activation of policies related to the protocol.
>    o Control, optimization, and choice of traffic exit points from networks
> based on more information than provided by the dynamic control plane.
>    o Distributed reaction to network-based attacks through quickly modification
> of the control plane behavior to reroute traffic for one destination while
> leaving a standard mechanisms (filters, metrics, and policy) in place for other
> routes.
>    o Service layer routing to improve on existing hub-and-spoke traffic
>    o The ability to extract information about topology from the network.
> Injection and creation of topology will not be considered as an initial work
> item.

I'm afraid these might be too broad in terms of the solution set. The
last 5 should fit within the first one, rather than being expansions on
the first one, I think.

:-)

Russ

--