Re: [Iasa20] outside the US [was Answers]

Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca> Sat, 17 March 2018 16:21 UTC

From: Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>
To: Andrew Sullivan <ajs@anvilwalrusden.com>
cc: iasa20@ietf.org
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2018 16:20:24 +0000
Subject: Re: [Iasa20] outside the US [was Answers]

Andrew Sullivan <ajs@anvilwalrusden.com> wrote:
    > Yes.

    >> It would be desireable to be able to create entities in other jurisdictions.

    > Well, which ones?  This is _always_ a problem for non-profits, and you
    > had better be a pretty big one if you want to do this on a real
    > international scale.  We are tiny.

Well, the ones with extra money, of course :-)

But, the question I had was whether any of the options (1-4) made creating
(later on) such entities easier, or if they were all the same.

    > Moreover, what problem are we trying to solve?

    > The IASA 2.0 work got
    > started because of concrete problems that people who had to deal with
    > them were complaining about.

One of the problems was that there was some weirdness about who to make
the checque to.  (We could probably have solved that very specific problem
rather quickly without all of this, but I know that it was a tip of the
iceberg issue)

As a member of the IAOC finance subcmte, I'm aware that a problem is just
getting more checques.  Having a more diverse set of sponsors would be good,
as well as getting more from each one.

    >> (I wonder if the UN has any mechanisms to facilitate the work of
    >> international organizations?  Just as along is the letter I. T. and U. do not
    >> occur in any permutation)

    > "International organization" has a specific meaning in that context,
    > and we are most assuredly not one.  I don't believe we are even
    > remotely prepared for that set of compromises, either.

okay, that's fine, I get where you are going, and perhaps you'll illuminate
me privately over a beer.   The problem of jurisdictions for NGOs that do
international work can't be unique to us.

 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-