Re: [icnrg] CCNx Drafts - next steps

<Ignacio.Solis@parc.com> Tue, 14 April 2015 20:05 UTC

From: Ignacio.Solis@parc.com
To: luca.muscariello@orange.com, icnrg@irtf.org
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2015 20:05:22 +0000
x-originating-ip: [13.7.64.123]
Subject: Re: [icnrg] CCNx Drafts - next steps

The drafts are currently not RG work, they are individual contributions.   Adopting them would make them RG work.  Many WG/RG drafts start as individual contributions and get adopted as WG/RG documents, hence the word “adopt”.

Once the document is adopted, it will be a RG document and the RG can guide the development.  We are a RG, we are not producing standards. This is very explicit by the charter of the IRTF [1][2] and ICNRG.  The document would at most be Experimental.   This does not preclude any other document from being adopted in any way.

If you feel that your protocol is not ready to be adopted, then continue working on it.  You are free to keep control (and maintain it as an individual contribution) or ask the group to adopt it (and take control).

These documents reflect the views of more than the authors.  They have received and adopted quite a bit of feedback.  We have merged (and removed) a number of items based on suggestions.   We are now looking for more active participation from the whole group.

When you talk about expressing disagreement it seems you imply a large part of the group has disagreed.  I’m not sure if you’re talking about disagreement from adoption or disagreement of the protocol.   In terms of disagreement of adoption, from the last meeting the sense of the room seemed to be overwhelmingly in favor of adoption.  On the list so far, from general replies to Laura’s email, it has been you and Alex.

In terms of disagreement of the protocol itself, it’s not an issue.  A- many people agree with the protocol as is (having worked with us for over a year in the spec),  B- people with other protocols don’t agree (but so far we have been getting closer), C- some people are not sure and need more time to read the drafts, D- most people don’t care.   I would say that just by the number of people we have that agree on the protocol as is, it would be a good enough reason to adopt.  But, to top it off, adoption would actually give everyone a voice, even the people that disagree.    Non-adoption is like saying you don’t want to have a voice.  Again, this is not a final call, it’s adoption to continue working together as a group.

Nacho

[1] https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2014
[2] https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5743

--