Re: [icnrg] CCNx Drafts - next steps

<Ignacio.Solis@parc.com> Mon, 06 April 2015 22:30 UTC

From: Ignacio.Solis@parc.com
To: alexander.afanasyev@ucla.edu, icnrg@irtf.org
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2015 22:30:07 +0000
x-originating-ip: [13.4.12.241]
Subject: Re: [icnrg] CCNx Drafts - next steps

The group should adopt the documents.

I’m not sure I understand your reason for not wanting to adopt the document.

You are correct that non-adoption doesn’t prevent further development. If the document doesn’t get adopted by the group, the work will continue as an individual contribution. One of the main differences this has is that as a working group document the draft must reflect “rough consensus”, whereas as an individual contribution, feedback from the group doesn’t have to be taken into account.  So, in a way, you’re basically objecting to the group having input in the development and documentation of the packet format.

Non-adoption would allow us to do whatever we wanted with the protocol.  However, because it is a protocol, and we want to interoperate, we want it to be discussed and criticized publicly. We want changes to go through the thorough review of ICNRG rough consensus.   We think that the current version of CCNx passes this rough consensus.  After all, multiple individuals have had input on the protocols and documents.  We believe that the protocol will be stronger by working together.

Having documents adopted by the group also forces some architectural discussions. What things must go together, what things must be combined? What things require which other things? What things must be split apart so they can be considered separately?   This is reflected in the document organization and separation (Semantics, packet format, fragmentation, etc).  It might be the case that there is agreement on somethings but not on others. Adoption allows the documents to reflect the view of the group in these “architectural” issues.

One of the main goals of RGs is to foster cross-organizational collaboration in important research areas. Adopting the documents would basically achieve this.

I would like to actually flip the question around and ask why wouldn’t you want your protocol to be adopted by ICNRG?  Wouldn’t NDN be stronger as well from ICNRG group feedback?  Isn’t collaboration one of the main goals of NDN/FIA?  As an individual I would gladly support adoption of NDN by the group.

As a side note, applications are very important, but they are not the primary focus of the RG.  This umbrella RG has to deal with all aspects of ICN.  You could look at some of the group drafts (like the challenges doc) and see if some of your concerns are reflected by the documents. Maybe you can contribute stuff there.

I, for one, would like to focus on an interoperable network so we can at least evaluate applications in real world scenarios.

If you have application requirements that would inform the design of the protocol or packet format please bring it forward so we can be informed as we make updates to the drafts; adopted or not.

Again, in terms of your objection to adopt, can you clarify,  from your email the only things I could conclude were:
- Not everybody is working on the same research effort.
- You don’t see adopting multiple documents leading to easier comparisons.
- We shouldn’t adopt formats until we are sure no changes will be required in the future.

I would think these are reasons  _for_ adoption
- Since we have multiple research efforts, we should document them in a similar fashion…
- … so we can compare them better
- We won’t know how to change formats until we have used those formats between multiple people in the real world.

Nacho

--
Nacho (Ignacio) Solis
Protocol Architect