Re: as4bytes - 4byte speaker receiving new* attributes?

Enke Chen <enke@redback.com> Tue, 08 May 2001 17:13 UTC

To: Jeffrey Haas <jhaas@nexthop.com>
Cc: idr@merit.edu
Subject: Re: as4bytes - 4byte speaker receiving new* attributes?
Date: Tue, 08 May 2001 10:09:54 -0700
From: Enke Chen <enke@redback.com>
Sender: owner-idr@merit.edu

> Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 10:20:07 -0400
> From: Jeffrey Haas <jhaas@nexthop.com>
> To: idr@merit.edu
> Subject: as4bytes - 4byte speaker receiving new* attributes?
> Sender: owner-idr@merit.edu
>
> In the current as4bytes draft (draft-ietf-idr-as4bytes-02.txt):
>
> :    The new attributes, NEW_AS_PATH and NEW_AGGREGATOR should not be
> :    carried in the updates between NEW BGP peers. A NEW BGP speaker that
> :    receives an UPDATE message from a NEW BGP speaker, with the
> :    NEW_AS_PATH attribute carried in the UPDATE message must ignore the
> :    attribute. The same applies to the NEW_AGGREGATOR attribute.
>
> If we are a 4byte router peering with another 4byte router
> and have mutually capability advertised a 4byte peering session, we
> should not be getting these attributes.
>
> Would it not be better to send a NOTIFY in this case?

"NOTIFICATION" is the last resort and it is disruptive.

There is no need to send a notification in this case as the receiver can deal with
the message and function properly. It is consistent with the famous protocol
rule: "Be conservative with what you send, and be liberal with what you accept".

-- Enke