Re: [Idr] TCP & BGP: Some don't send terminate BGP when holdtimer expired, because TCP recv window is 0

Jared Mauch <jared@puck.nether.net> Sat, 12 December 2020 15:21 UTC

From: Jared Mauch <jared@puck.nether.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2020 10:21:19 -0500
Cc: Christoph Loibl <c@tix.at>, idr@ietf.org, Robert Raszuk <robert@raszuk.net>
To: "Jakob Heitz (jheitz)" <jheitz=40cisco.com@dmarc.ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Idr] TCP & BGP: Some don't send terminate BGP when holdtimer expired, because TCP recv window is 0

One of the issues I've seen here is the tcp stacks in routers be very ... unique. Much of this is because there is significant desire for state handling to be replicated between dual routing daemons and line cards.

I spent many hours with cisco about the perils of non default settings for their stack for things like keepalives. These are all the choice of bad OS level defaults and the applications not having consistent socket behavior. This example with XR is mostly to air the details of their implementation and how it would impact the discussion.

These implementation details matter as window 0 isn't clear and may not go up the stack or may not come down enough.

There's a delicate balance here in consume the data as quickly as possible and run the rib and fib downloading in alternative threads and when it should cause a blocking event and when the back pressure should cause the notification or tcp tear down.

The applications should be more aware of the transport state and I'm worried this runs into the "please don't write bugs" category. It's at least close to it.

Sent from my iCar