Re: [Idr] draft-decraene-idr-reserved-extended-communities-00

<bruno.decraene@orange-ftgroup.com> Mon, 15 November 2010 08:59 UTC

Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 09:55:31 +0100
From: bruno.decraene@orange-ftgroup.com
To: raszuk@cisco.com
Cc: idr@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Idr] draft-decraene-idr-reserved-extended-communities-00

Robert,

> Before we start the discussion on this one should we first not
conclude
> what is the WG consensus reg
draft-decraene-idr-rfc4360-clarification-00
> document ?
>
> Main purpose for draft-decraene-idr-reserved-extended-communities-00
is
> that standard communities where GSHUT is already registered by IANA
> (0xFFFF0000) do not have a way to limit propagation across AS
boundaries.

> Therefor I think to proceed formally further WG should agree or
disagree
> on the former draft defining how implementations should handle AS
> transitiveness of extended communities.

Unless you specifically target
draft-decraene-idr-reserved-extended-communities-00 for an unstated
reason, it's seems to me that what you're asking for is that the WG
should not do any work related to non transitive community until there
is consensus on draft-decraene-idr-rfc4360-clarification-00. If the WG
were to follow your request, there could be other casualties. E.g.
draft-ietf-idr-link-bandwidth-01. And to be fully consistent, that would
mean requesting the IANA to stop allocating any non transitive community
types.

On a side note, Robert, you were at the IDR meeting when
draft-decraene-idr-rfc4360-clarification-00 was discussed. You did not
brought this above point that the draft was so much important. Quite the
contrary in fact. What made you change your mind?

Bruno