Re: [Idr] Benjamin Kaduk's Discuss on draft-ietf-idr-tunnel-encaps-20: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Susan Hares <shares@ndzh.com> Tue, 01 December 2020 20:30 UTC

From: Susan Hares <shares@ndzh.com>
To: 'Benjamin Kaduk' <kaduk@mit.edu>
Cc: 'The IESG' <iesg@ietf.org>, idr@ietf.org, idr-chairs@ietf.org, draft-ietf-idr-tunnel-encaps@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2020 15:29:53 -0500
Subject: Re: [Idr] Benjamin Kaduk's Discuss on draft-ietf-idr-tunnel-encaps-20: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Ben:

Thank you for the quick response. I look forward to getting suggestions from
the IESG.

The authors have taken care to try to carefully insert the new technology
into the deployed web of BGP technology.  I agree with the IESG stance that
it is critical to make sure we clearly state what other standards need to be
fixed when deprecate non-working technology and insert new technology.

John, I and Alvaro discussed a number of options as he crafted the appendix
on RFC 8365.  It would be good to hear from the collective wisdom of the
Routing ADs and the IESG on this subject.

Sue