Re: [Idr] Protocol Action: 'Recommendation for Not Using AS_SET and AS_CONFED_SET in BGP' to BCP (draft-ietf-idr-deprecate-as-sets-06.txt)

Danny McPherson <danny@tcb.net> Mon, 10 October 2011 18:46 UTC

From: Danny McPherson <danny@tcb.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 14:45:57 -0400
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, idr chair <idr-chairs@tools.ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Idr] Protocol Action: 'Recommendation for Not Using AS_SET and AS_CONFED_SET in BGP' to BCP (draft-ietf-idr-deprecate-as-sets-06.txt)

Can someone clue me in as to when the status of this changed
from Informational to BCP, in particular since this occurred
after the IETF last call said intended publication was
Informational?

Also, what the implication of this might be on updating RFC 5065,
RFC 4271, etc.., as it "recommends against" standardized protocol
elements and doesn't contain RFC 2119 language.  The IESG comments
discuss this as well, and I brought it up on the mailing list quite
a while ago when asking about expressly about intended status.

In general, I don't have a problem with this being BCP if the wording
is cleaned up, but it certainly was not posited as BCP in WG or IETF
last call or discussed in the WG to that effect with any response.

-danny