Re: The IETF & The new Telecommunications ACT

Steve Coya <scoya@CNRI.Reston.VA.US> Wed, 20 March 1996 14:33 UTC

To: Joel Halpern <jhalpern@us.newbridge.com>
cc: iesg@CNRI.Reston.VA.US
Subject: Re: The IETF & The new Telecommunications ACT
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 09:33:06 -0500
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Steve Coya <scoya@CNRI.Reston.VA.US>

Joel,

What timing! I was working on a message to the ISOC folks about this
very topic, following a phone call with Art Reilly (Bellcore).

>> 1) There is a section (242 or 243 according to George's memory) of the
>>    bill which specifically applies to non-sanctioned standards groups.
>>    There apparently also is language about standards groups whose members
>>    "control" more than 30% of the "access lines".  Whether either category
>>    includes the IETF I do not know.

It is Section 273, paragraph 4 that discusses non-accredited standards
activities. Paragraph 5 of section 273 goes into alternative dispute
resolution, specifically referring the problem of dispute resolution to
the FCC to define how these disputes are to be resolved.

Last week (March 12th), the FCC issued a PROPOSAL which essentially
states their preferred method of resolution is through the use of a 3rd
party binding arbitration.

Regardless of who recognizes our standards, the IETF is not an accredited
standards making group.