[ietf-outcomes] Definitions and conflict process

Dave CROCKER <dhc@dcrocker.net> Thu, 11 February 2010 17:30 UTC

Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 09:31:25 -0800
From: Dave CROCKER <dhc@dcrocker.net>
To: Bernard Aboba <bernard_aboba@hotmail.com>
Cc: ietf-outcomes@ietf.org
Subject: [ietf-outcomes] Definitions and conflict process

(opsarea mailing list dropped.)

David and Bernard, et al,

On 2/9/2010 12:28 PM, Bernard Aboba wrote:
> Dave Crocker said:
>
> "This means that a protocol is a failure if it is widely used, but for
> different purposes than it was intended."
>
> [BA] If a protocol has been implemented, deployed and used, I don't think
> that can qualify as a failure under the RFC 5218 definition. From Section
> 1.4:

You quote Section 1.4 and I quoted Section 1.2.  They appear to be conflicting
definitions, and the conflict doesn't appear to be subtle.  Both bits of text
are clearly written and easily understood.

So while it well might be good for us to have a single definition of 'success'
that is universally applied, simply referring to the RFC does not seem to get us
there.

> Dave Crocker also said:
>
> "Deployed" is also a problem, since there is a long track record of
> industry's having deployed something but never actually using it very much.
> I submit all of OSI as a prime example.

I'll repeat that I think we should have a trivial rule, and that I think it
should simply be a measure of 'benefit'.  If people are using something, it has
benefit.  If they have deployed it but are not using it, there is no benefit.

We need to be careful that we do not define an array of subtle distinctions that
wind up adding to our effort but don't make major impact on the utility of the
assessment exercise.

So, for example, the difference between deployment and use is not subtle, but
just how much do we learn by adding the distinction to the core assessment
effort?  Adding pieces to an assessment effort increases the complexity and the
potential for disagreement.

Contrast this with:  The community agrees that a protocol is not used or is not
used very much.  (A - or -- assessment.)  After we agree on that, folk ask what
happened and discover that it was deployed but difficult to use.  That's worth
knowing, but only /after agreeing that it wasn't used/.

In other words, the distinction between Used and Deployed is interesting as a
derivative measure in the case of non-use, and is not interesting in the case of
use.  That means it should not be part of the core assessment effort, which
makes that effort simpler.

On 2/9/2010 10:34 AM, David Harrington wrote:
 > One problem with a wiki is that it can represent the personal opinion
 > of the last person to edit it, rather than to represent the consensus
 > of the IETF. But it is posted on the official IETF web site, and can
 > easily be mistaken to represent an official statement of consensus.

There are a few layers to dealing with this concern.  I fully expect that we
will, indeed, eventually find conflict about an entry to be a serious problem.
When we do, we'll have to proceed thoughtfully.

Stepping through the layers, here's my own, starting view:

The wiki software used by the IETF does not provide the wiki equivalent of email
list 'moderation', where an authority can mandate certain controls on the text.
  So the underlying mechanics of enforcing resolution of a conflict about an
entry is going to have to rely on social conventions, rather than software
mechanics.  If that becomes insufficient, we'll have to figure out some way to
deal with it.

Although I did not write anything into the initial charter -- because I think
there should be discussion and agreement before adding a statement about it -- I
have assumed that the process for resolving conflicts about an entry should be
debate and rough consensus on this mailing list.  I'm tasked with facilitating
and assessing.

I'm a believer in overt steps to resolve debate, including on-list efforts to
summarize and suggest compromises, and finally to make explicit, on-list
statements about assessment of rough consensus.  Sometimes that can be reduced
to a one-step "default yes", such as the change I just installed onto the wiki
homepage and charter:  Bernard and I had a public exchange and quickly reached
an agreement.  I waited a day and no one else chimed in.  Absent objections, I
declared that I'd make the change, and then did.  To the extent that anyone
comes in afterward and cares about this, they can see the sequence.  If they
object and the group comes to consensus about wanting to reverse or modify the
change, wiki's make this easy.

If there is a disagreement about my handling of any wiki or mailing list issues,
I'm assuming we can invoke the usual appeals process, through the IESG.
(Authorization for establishing the wiki on the IETF site came from the IETF
Chair, so I assume that's the reporting structure for on-going issues.)

It is certain that there are issues about changing the wiki's format or contents
that will run into a problem that requires new or different procedures.  As
these come up, we will figure them out, as long as the community stays engaged
in the effort.

d/
--

   Dave Crocker