Re: [IETF] Re: IETF, ICANN and Whois (Was Re: Last Call: <draft-housley-rfc2050bis-01.txt> (The Internet Numbers Registry System) to Informational RFC)

Warren Kumari <warren@kumari.net> Wed, 19 June 2013 21:14 UTC

Subject: Re: [IETF] Re: IETF, ICANN and Whois (Was Re: Last Call: <draft-housley-rfc2050bis-01.txt> (The Internet Numbers Registry System) to Informational RFC)
From: Warren Kumari <warren@kumari.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 17:14:31 -0400
To: Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>
Cc: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>, ietf <ietf@ietf.org>, Patrik Fältström <paf@frobbit.se>

On Jun 19, 2013, at 4:29 PM, Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 19/06/2013 18:25, Patrik Fältström wrote:
>> On 18 jun 2013, at 18:54, Jari Arkko <jari.arkko@piuha.net> wrote:
>>
>>> As for the rest of the discussion - I'm sure there are things to be improved in ICANN. I'd suggest though that some of the feedback might be better placed in an ICANN discussion than on IETF list. And is not like there'd be nothing to improve on our side :-) Lets focus on IETF aspects here.
>>
>> I think this is the correct strategy, BUT, I see as a very active participant in ICANN (chair of SSAC) that work in ICANN could be easier if some "more" technical standards where developed in IETF,

+ lots.

If these are not developed in the IETF, we run the risk of ICANN doing technical stuff.

As someone whose time is now[0] split between ICANN and IETF, I can tell you something -- you[1] *really* don't want ICANN developing technical standard.

> A pre-condition for that is that technical and operational problem statements
> are formulated, which could be sent to appropriate WGs or used to justify
> a BOF. If ICANN could focus on that instead of solutionism or committeeism,
> progress should be possible.

Yup. This message needs to be properly communicated though -- Suzanne Woolf has been attempting (and being fairly effective) to do so.

[0]: I, along with some other IETF folk, serve on the SSAC under Patrik.
[1]: You in the general sense, not you as in Brian or Patrik -- although I'm guessing you don't either. Are you confused yet with which you you are?

--
She'd even given herself a middle initial - X - which stood for "someone who has a cool and exciting middle name".

    -- (Terry Pratchett, Maskerade)