Re: draft-ietf-mhsds-subtrees-05, draft-ietf-mhsds-infotree-05, draft-ietf-mhsds

Alyson L Abramowitz <ala@lunacity.com> Sat, 09 July 1994 20:39 UTC

To: "Donald E. Eastlake 3rd (Beast)" <dee@skidrow.lkg.dec.com>
Cc: ietf@CNRI.Reston.VA.US
Subject: Re: draft-ietf-mhsds-subtrees-05, draft-ietf-mhsds-infotree-05, draft-ietf-mhsds
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Alyson L Abramowitz <ala@lunacity.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 1994 13:11:56 -0700
Donald and everyone:

It might have been appropriate to gripe about the name of The Directory
back in 1985-88,  when it was initially developed.  The reality is it
that was the name which was choosen.  I remember no one in or outside
of the standards community,  commercial community,  or university
community objecting.  This INCLUDES DEC,  which I represented at some
of those initial directory efforts.  Sorry Don.

It is also the case that The Directory is standardized beyond
X.500 (e.g. in ISO 9594 and other industry documents).  It is also
used significantly (and one could argue primarily) beyond OSI.  So
to refer The Directory as an OSI effort exclusively is to deny its
reality in the much larger context in which it lives.

So you may not like the names The Directory,  PC,  or Word.  They are
the realities of the world.  In order to communicate effectively
they are the proper and accepted terms to use.  One cannot rewrite
history or common usage and effectively enforce it.

Best,
Alyson