RE: Last Call: <draft-farrresnickel-ipr-sanctions-05.txt> (Sanctions Available for Application to Violators of IETF IPR Policy) to Informational RFC

"Adrian Farrel" <adrian@olddog.co.uk> Wed, 09 May 2012 10:58 UTC

From: Adrian Farrel <adrian@olddog.co.uk>
To: 'Yoav Nir' <ynir@checkpoint.com>, 'Brian E Carpenter' <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>
Subject: RE: Last Call: <draft-farrresnickel-ipr-sanctions-05.txt> (Sanctions Available for Application to Violators of IETF IPR Policy) to Informational RFC
Date: Wed, 09 May 2012 11:57:53 +0100
Cc: ietf@ietf.org

Hi,

I don't even own a television on which to watch people pretending to be
lawyers...

Both Brian and Yoav are making a worthwhile point, but I don't see how this I-D
changes what happens on IETF mailing lists as normal business. It is perfectly
possible for the IETF lists to be used to libel someone with or without this
I-D.

Brian makes a good point that the text should make it clear what level of
back-up we expect for such a claim. In writing the original text I had assumed
that everyone behaves like a reasonable adult when participating in the IETF -
gosh, am I naif?

Will fold in text close to Brian's suggestion.

Thanks,
Adrian

> I am not a lawyer either, but I think it depends on jurisdiction whether a
mailing
> list will be considered as a media outlet or merely a "conduit".
>
> What the IETF writes in its policy amounts to a plea to users to pretty please
send
> only factual information. I don't know that it makes a difference as to who is
liable
> if the information turns out to be non-factual.
>
> On May 9, 2012, at 10:19 AM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
>
> > Yoav,
> >
> > IANAL, but as far as I know libel suits are normally against individuals
> > (or media outlets such as newspapers). The defence against a libel
> > suit in the British courts, the most popular jurisdiction for
> > international libel suits, is factual accuracy. Therefore, I think
> > the draft should state the need for factual evidence.
> >
> > And to be clear, there are plenty of precedents for libels originating
> > outside the UK leading to successful suits in the UK courts, if they
> > have been received in the UK via the Internet.
> >
> > Regards
> >   Brian Carpenter
> >

> > On 2012-05-09 08:07, Yoav Nir wrote:
> >> I think that regardless of how it's worded, the real question is whether
liability
> falls to the person who sent the email (to a public mailing list) or the IETF.
The