Re: Status of draft-christey-wysopal-vuln-disclosure-00.txt

Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu Thu, 26 December 2002 18:42 UTC

From: Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu
To: jasonc@science.org
Cc: cwysopal@atstake.com, coley@mitre.org, fw@deneb.enyo.de, dee3@torque.pothole.com, ietf@ietf.org, kre@munnari.OZ.AU, info@knowngoods.org, Bruce Schneier <schneier@counterpane.com>, cert@cert.org, Clinton Kreitner <kreitner@home.com>, Alan Paller <AlanPaller@aol.com>, Hal Pomeranz <hal@deer-run.com>
Subject: Re: Status of draft-christey-wysopal-vuln-disclosure-00.txt
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2002 13:33:12 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf@ietf.org

On Thu, 26 Dec 2002 01:18:07 -1000, Jason Coombs said:
> Thanks for the replies, those of you who have already provided feedback on
> my inquiry into currently-accepted best practices for responsible disclosure
> considering the disappearance of
> draft-christey-wysopal-vuln-disclosure-00.txt ... Enclosed below is a
> security alert issued today that includes a revised Responsible Disclosure
> section that I think would make a good starting point for a new Internet
> Draft.

Jason - I think you misunderstood something in a very major way...

> Neither its authors nor any other party chose to advance a responsible
> disclosure standard through any IETF working group due to lack of interest.
> Therefore the following observations take priority as de facto "best
> practices" for information security and encryption research and responsible
> communication of security- and cryptography-related vulnerability findings:

The general consensus as I read it was that the christey-wysopal draft was
generally considered a very good and reasonable document.

The only reason it did not get progressed through the IETF process was that
there was a general belief that the *subject matter* was not an IETF issue.
It's important, but it's not a topic we write RFC's about.

This is something that probably some other group should be running with.
I've taken the liberty of cc:ing some of the people at SANS and the
Center for Internet Security in hopes that they'll either pick it up or
know who should be doing it.
--
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Computer Systems Senior Engineer