An oversight function - composition thereof?

Harald Tveit Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no> Fri, 10 September 2004 09:45 UTC

Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 11:15:17 +0200
From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
To: ietf@ietf.org
Subject: An oversight function - composition thereof?
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

In the report, Scenario C has clearly identified the need for a "board of
directors" as oversight function for the administrative entity.

Margaret has also pointed out the need for such a function in scenarios A
and B - and multiple people have made the point that this is NOT a job that
the selection process for the IESG and IAB is well suited for.

I'd like to hear people's comments:

1) Do we agree that such a group of people is needed? (I think the answer
is "yes" - but it's good to check)

2) What do we think this group should be responsible for, and have the
power to do - either directly/formally or through "the board advises
<person with the power>, and person will do so" agreements?

3) What's an appropriate selection mechanism for that group?

As a reminder, here's the proposal for selection from appendix D of the
report:

   *Section 4: Selection of the Board of Trustee*
   1.  *Selection of Position-Based Trustees.* The Chairs of the IETF
       and IAB shall be the two Position-Based Trustees.  These
       individuals are selected by IETF participants using the
       procedures set forth in [RFC3777] or its successor.
   2.  *Selection of Selected Trustees.* Three Selected Trustees shall
       be selected by the IETF nominations process (as defined in
       [RFC3777] or its successor) and confirmed by the IESG.  Two
       Selected Trustees shall be selected by the internet Society using
       means of their own choosing.
   3.  *Resignation.* A Selected Trustee may resign by delivering his
       resignation in writing to the Foundation at its principal office
       or to the Secretary of the Foundation.  Such resignation shall be
       effective upon its receipt or upon such date (if any) as is
       stated in such resignation, unless otherwise determined by the
       Board.
   4.  *Removal.* A Selected Trustee selected by the IETF nominations
       process may be removed from office at any time using the
       procedures specified in [RFC3777] or its successor.  A Selected
       Trustee selected by the Internet Society my be removed by the
       Internet Society using means of their own choosing.
   5.  *Vacancies.* Any vacancy in the Board of Trustees shall be filled
       using the procedures set forth above on the composition of the
       Board of Trustees.  The Trustees shall have and may exercise all
       of their powers notwithstanding the existence of one or more
       vacancies in their number.