Re: Last Call: draft-dawkins-nomcom-openlist (Nominating Committee Process: Open Disclosure of Willing Nominees) to BCP

"Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com> Wed, 17 June 2009 14:49 UTC

Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 10:47:33 -0400
From: "Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com>
To: stbryant@cisco.com
Subject: Re: Last Call: draft-dawkins-nomcom-openlist (Nominating Committee Process: Open Disclosure of Willing Nominees) to BCP
Cc: ietf@ietf.org

I really think we want to stay away from any statement which implies
anything about the nominees views about anyone.
I do not think it is reasonable or practical to try to include
disclaimers in the list of nominees about eveyr misapprehension that
readers of the list may form.
We ought not be making any public statement about the nominees degree of
willingness to serve, degree of desire for change or stability, or any
other opinion about the nominee.  We are simply letting folks know that
the nominee exists.

If we absolutely have to have a stronger disclaimer, I would think it
would need to be quite general, not specific about nominees opinions on
any one dimension.  And certainly not a list of thing on which the
nominee is not expressing an opinion in public.

Yours,
Joel M. Halpern