MS Word flame war (was: Re: RFC archival format)

"Doug Ewell" <doug@ewellic.org> Wed, 08 July 2009 04:18 UTC

From: Doug Ewell <doug@ewellic.org>
To: ietf@ietf.org
Subject: MS Word flame war (was: Re: RFC archival format)
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 22:19:05 -0600

Douglas Otis <dotis at mail dash abuse dot org> wrote:

> The concern is about the application accepting document instructions
> and text and then generating document output.  When this application
> is proprietary, it is prone to change where remedies might become
> expensive or impossible.

The implication is that open-source software is inherently stable and
commercial software is inherently unstable.  That's hardly a safe
across-the-board assumption.

> The evolution in hardware tends to force the use of different
> operating systems which may no longer support older applications.

"Tends to," "may."  Sounds like FUD to me.  I haven't had any trouble
using Word 2003 under XP to read documents I created in Word 95 thirteen
years ago.

> IIRC, I did work back in the early 90's that contained Russian written
> using Word 5.  Conversion proved difficult since proprietary fonts
> were needed.  Document recovery then required a fair amount of work to
> rediscover the structure and character mapping.  Trying to get any
> version of Word to generate plain text outputs consistently always
> seemed to be a PITA, that varied from version to version, and never
> seemed worth the effort.

All work involving Cyrillic text was hit-and-miss fifteen years ago.
Every word processor or other application had its own custom format.
Many used KOI8-R, some used CP866 (or worse, CP855), a few used ISO
8859-5.  PDF files depended entirely on the embedded font to convey
meaning; copy-and-paste from PDF was useless.  Compatibility problems in
the era before widespread Unicode adoption were hardly limited to Word.

> When people are required to input Word Document "instructions" into
> their Word application, they might become exposed to system security
> issues as well.

"Might be."  More FUD over security.  Has anyone suggested *requiring*
users to employ mail-merge-type macros as part of I-D preparation, or is
this just a general flame against Word?

> The variability of the Word data structures makes identifying security
> threats fairly difficult, where many "missing" features seem to be an
> intended imposition as a means to necessitate use of the vendor's
> macro language.

Translation: I don't like Microsoft.

> Inherent security issues alone should disqualify use of proprietary
> applications.

Hey, maybe if I say the word "security" enough times, people will get
scared and not use Word any more!

> It would be sending the wrong message to mandate the use of
> proprietary operating systems or applications in order to participate
> in IETF efforts.

Who ever proposed to *mandate* the use of Windows or Word to write an
I-D or otherwise participate in IETF efforts?  The proposal was to ALLOW
users to prepare I-Ds using Word, and translate the output of Word into
a format the IETF tools and RFC Editor can deal with.  Nobody ever said
anything about *mandating* any of these tools.

> After all, lax security often found within proprietary operating
> systems and applications threatens the Internet.

Pure and complete FUD, despite the real macro threats of a few years
back.  The Internet will not fall apart if someone uses Word, feeds the
output into a Word2RFC tool, and submits that output to IETF.

> Open source includes more than just Linux, and the exposure of
> requiring proprietary applications or operating systems would affect
> nearly all IETF participants that maintain existing documents or
> generating new ones.

Nobody, but nobody, has proposed requiring Word or Windows for IETF use.

http://www.ewellic.org