Re: [Recentattendees] Remote Participation for IETF 95: Meetecho Details

John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com> Thu, 31 March 2016 18:15 UTC

Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2016 14:15:02 -0400
From: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
To: IETF Secretariat <ietf-secretariat@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Recentattendees] Remote Participation for IETF 95: Meetecho Details
Cc: wgchairs@ietf.org, ietf@ietf.org

Thanks, but this is really not the solution.

I notice that the placeholder for IETF 95 "Remote Participation"
at http://www.ietf.org/ still is not associated with a link.  On
the meeting page (http://www.ietf.org/meeting/95/index.html),
there is no information under "At a Glance", one has to figure
out to look further, near the lower right corner of the top part
of the page above all the impressive logos, to find a "Remote
Participation"  entry.  There is an "info" link there that
points to
http://www.ietf.org/meeting/95/remote-participation.html, a page
that probably contains all the relevant information or pointers
to it if one is sufficiently experienced with  the IETF to know
how to read and interpret it, but I think it would be quite
difficult for a newcomer.  It points back to the Meetecho page,
as does the Meetecho link from the meeting page, but one needs
to know enough about Meetecho to know to go there.

Similarly, under that slightly-hard-to-find "Remote
Participation" heading, there is an entry for "Remote
Participant List" but no hint of the new Remote Participant
registration policy, much less a link to that page, which I'd
expect to find either next to the "General" Registration entry
or prominently featured under "Remote Participation", or, since
it seems to be the standard registration page and this is a
change from long-standing policy (see below) an indication on
the IETF main and meetings pages that remote participants are
expected to register.  I note that the explanatory material at
the top of the registration page
(https://www.ietf.org/registration/ietf95/ietfreg.py) doesn't
give a hint about no-fee remote participant registrations either
-- the only hint is a "Registration Type" checkbox in the
registration form itself.

While I've been advocating for years that we establish a
procedure for registering remote participants, at least those
who expect to interact with the meeting rather than lurk on
audio, this is a major policy change that I don't recall being
discussed with the community to see if there is really consensus
for it or at least to be sure that everyone is informed.  If
that discussion has occurred, could someone point me at it?   If
it has not, I hope to hear an adequate explanation from the IAOC
and/or IESG about the new policy-making process that does not
require community review.

If we really want remote participants, especially those who are
relatively new to the IETF, we really can, and should, do better
than this.  At least the "information hidden, need to be either
an old hand or very persistent to find it" problem has come up
many times before.

best,
    john

--On Wednesday, March 30, 2016 13:22 -0700 IETF Secretariat