Re: Summary of the LLMNR Last Call

Ned Freed <ned.freed@mrochek.com> Tue, 20 September 2005 18:59 UTC

To: Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 11:53:06 -0700
From: Ned Freed <ned.freed@mrochek.com>
Cc: Margaret Wasserman <margaret@thingmagic.com>, ietf@ietf.org, Bernard Aboba <aboba@internaut.com>
Subject: Re: Summary of the LLMNR Last Call
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

> Bernard Aboba <aboba@internaut.com> writes:

> > b. Confusion between security issues and namespace separation.  In
> > peer-to-peer name resolution protocols, it is possible for a responder
> > to demonstrate ownership of a name, via mechanisms such as DNSSEC.  It
> > is also possible for a responder to demonstrate membership in a trusted
> > group, such as via TSIG or IPsec.  If DNSSEC is available, spoofing
> > attacks are not possible, and querying for FQDNs does not expose the
> > sender to additional vulnerabilities.  Both the mDNS and LLMNR
> > specifications agree on this point.

> We agree that home burglary is a serious problem.  This is why we
> recommend that everyone hire an armed guard for their house.  If your
> house is monitored by armed guards, burglary is very unlikely.  Given that
> there is an effective security mechanism available, there's really no need
> to consider simple deterrants that won't provide true security.

We do have a strong tendency to let the best be the enemy pf the good, don't
we?

> > c. Lack of consideration of existing practice.  Internet hosts have used
> > multiple name resolution mechanisms based on a single API for more than
> > two decades, with no ill effects.

> "No ill effects" is a horribly inaccurate description of the effects of
> that design.  A much more accurate description would be that Internet
> hosts have used multiple name resolution mechanisms through a single API
> out of necessity for more than two decades, have suffered frequent ill
> effects up to and including major outages because of it, but have
> struggled along with that design because there are some features provided
> by it that are too useful to completely dismiss in general.  That being
> said, most systems attempt to avoid using those features when feasible and
> attempt to make all sources of information match exactly to avoid the
> serious and often hard-to-diagnose problems of conflicting information.

> If you think that using /etc/hosts, NIS, and DNS at the same time on
> systems to provide name resolution is a *success* story, your perceptions
> of the practical problems of name resolution in Internet hosts is
> drastically different than mine.  You've also had to maintain far less
> code to try to work around bizarre inconsistencies in gethostbyname

I could not agree more. This particular hairball has been a consisent source of
support problems around two decades now. In fact it may have set some sort of
record: I cannot think of anything else we were using 20 years ago is still
causing exactly the same sorts of problems it caused back then.

				Ned