Re: [Ietf108planning] [irsg] Preview of survey on virtual meetings

Jay Daley <jay@ietf.org> Fri, 24 April 2020 03:26 UTC

From: Jay Daley <jay@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2020 15:26:25 +1200
Cc: ietf108planning@ietf.org
To: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
Subject: Re: [Ietf108planning] [irsg] Preview of survey on virtual meetings

Stephen

> On 24/04/2020, at 8:05 AM, Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie> wrote:
>

> - Question numbers would've helped in this review.

Yes sorry, they get in the way when live but not for review.

> - Why do we need such fine-grained location? (Svalbard:-)

That has reverted to region.

> - Which applies to you is always a bit irritating as it can
> personally identify people (esp Colin I guess - that looks
> a bit silly) We could coalesce a bunch of those with no
> loss.

It does need shortening -  a number of others have made similar comments.

> - A bunch of questions are quite complex relative to other
> surveys. I don't know how that may affect results.
>
> - "Did the scheduling of the virtual interims since the one
> week virtual IETF 107 meeting (20-27 March 2020) allow you
> to participate in all of those you wanted to?" seems like
> an odd question - I'd expect 90% "no." Maybe better to ask
> "on a scale of 1-5" or something.
>
> - "how productive has your IETF meeting experience" could
> confuse, because I wasn't "at" an IETF meeting. Maybe ask
> instead "how productive has your IETF107 meeting-
> replacement experience" instead?

Done.

> - "virtual IETF meeting" - there were comments on the list
> about that to the effect that "online IETF meeting" is
> better. I'd say it may well be.

I agree.

> - All the "worst possible TZ" questions are a bit odd
> because of that. Might be better to assume Madrid's TZ
> for those questions, I think we'd get better info even
> if we don't use the Madrid TZ in the end.

Several people have said that.  We originally chose that and decided against it as we don’t want to pre-judge the timing of the meeting.  We will reconsider.

> Cheers,
> S.
>
> PS: Longer term, it'd be nice if we had a less privacy
> invasive service to use than survey monkey. In this case
> I can't see comments from others without creating an
> account (which I don't wanna do), and there's really no
> need for user-tracking for our surveys.

The surveys are run with all user tracking turned off but I take your point about comments - others have made the same point.

Jay