Re: [EAI] I-D Action: draft-ietf-eai-5738bis-01.txt

Chris Newman <chris.newman@oracle.com> Thu, 28 July 2011 23:51 UTC

Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 19:39:28 -0400
From: Chris Newman <chris.newman@oracle.com>
To: ima@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [EAI] I-D Action: draft-ietf-eai-5738bis-01.txt

--On July 11, 2011 3:04:44 -0700 internet-drafts@ietf.org wrote:
> 	Title           : IMAP Support for UTF-8
> 	Author(s)       : Pete Resnick
>                           Chris Newman
>                           Sean Shen
> 	Filename        : draft-ietf-eai-5738bis-01.txt
> 	Pages           : 16
> 	Date            : 2011-07-11

I re-read this and tried putting on my somewhat dusty "IMAP implementer
hat" rather than my "protocol designer" hat. This unfortunately resulted in
a lot of substantive issues :-(

There is one change I feel would be most helpful to make. I have learned
that LIST extended is quite difficult to implement in a distributed server
deployment and I believe that requirement will be a barrier to deployment
of this extension. I suggest the document be changed so that the UTF8 LIST
selection and return options can be used without requiring full
implementation of the LIST extended extension. If the working group has
rough consensus to go this direction, then I can provide the ABNF and text
so that capability can be provided with or without the LIST extended
extension.

This benefits servers because servers that make simpler implementation
choices (such as UTF-8-only mailboxes) would no longer be forced to
implement the entire LIST extended structure to allow interoperability. It
also removes a "conditional" from the client (the code the client uses
presently has to be different based on the presence of the LIST-EXTENDED
capability).

I then subsequently asked myself what features could be removed from this
document while keeping the document sufficiently complete. There are three
options here:

1. Remove the "UTF8=USER" capability. Since there's no password change or
account creation command in IMAP, this information is not strictly
necessary for clients. UTF-8 usernames and passwords will either work or
not based on the identity subsystem. The client doesn't have to know, so
unless there's a client that really needs to know for some reason, this
should probably be removed just to make the protocol less cluttered. The
same could be done for POP3, FYI.

2. Remove the up-conversion requirements. The goal was to make it simpler
for clients by allowing clients without 2047/2231 to work sooner. But this
might be an additional barrier to server implementers, especially now that
down-conversion has become more prominent than in the previous model. I'm
thinking the deployment concern may be more important now than the hope of
a protocol-designer to get rid of the ugly encodings sooner.

3. Remove the UTF8=APPEND capability. This is a direct server-implementer
vs. client-implementer tradeoff. Not having that capability and requiring
servers to support this in any mailbox that supports SELECT/EXAMINE UTF8
makes things simpler and more predictable for clients, but at the expense
of the server implementer. In hindsight, I think this is one where the
server implementers should suffer to make things easier for the clients and
to make the protocol look simpler.

And yes, you can be annoyed at me proposing simplifications/changes that
remove things I put into the original document several years ago ;-) But I
must admit that working in the more constrained post-bubble environment has
given me a greater respect and attention to the nuances of simplicity.

Note that I did not see any technical errors in the current document, so if
the WG decided to ignore my guilt-in-hindsight-for-unnecessary-complexity,
I would not object to publishing the current document. But I do think it
could be made more deployable and that is a significant concern. I'd really
appreciate if others spoke up on this topic.

		- Chris