Re: [Int-area] IPv4 address sharing abuse [was RE: draft-boucadair-intarea-nat-reveal-analysis]

<mohamed.boucadair@orange-ftgroup.com> Fri, 09 September 2011 05:39 UTC

From: mohamed.boucadair@orange-ftgroup.com
To: SM <sm@resistor.net>, Francis Dupont <Francis.Dupont@fdupont.fr>
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2011 07:41:02 +0200
acceptlanguage: fr-FR
Cc: "int-area@ietf.org" <int-area@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Int-area] IPv4 address sharing abuse [was RE: draft-boucadair-intarea-nat-reveal-analysis]

Dear SM,

The HOST_ID can enclose the origin source IPv4 address, IPv6 address, IPv6 prefix, vlan, random value, etc. The only requirement on the HOST_ID is as mentioned in the I-D:

        "It must be unique to each host under the same
        IP address.  It does not need to be globally unique.  Of course,
        the combination of the (public) IPv4 source address and the
        identifier (i.e., HOST_ID) ends up being relatively unique.  As
        unique as today's 32-bit IPv4 addresses which, today, can change
        when a host re-connects."

As such the HOST_ID does not reveal other information than the source IP address if there is no NAT in the path.

According to draft-morris-privacy-considerations-03,

   "The following list contains examples of information that may be
   considered personal data:

   o  Name

   o  Address information

   o  Phone numbers, email addresses, SIP/XMPP URIs, other identifiers

   o  IP and MAC addresses or other host-specific persistent identifiers
      that consistently links to a particular person or small, well-
      defined group of people

   o  Information identifying personally owned property, such as vehicle
      registration number"

IP addresses and host-specific persistent identifiers are on the same level and may be considered as personal data. This is why we have the following in the draft:

  "If the HOST_ID is persistent it may be used to track a host (similar to
   persistent IP addresses)."

Cheers,
Med