Re: [Internetgovtech] Guiding the Evolution of the IANA Protocol Parameter Registries

Patrik Fältström <paf@frobbit.se> Thu, 13 March 2014 05:40 UTC

Return-Path: <paf@frobbit.se>
X-Original-To: internetgovtech@ietfa.amsl.com
Delivered-To: internetgovtech@ietfa.amsl.com
Received: from localhost (ietfa.amsl.com [127.0.0.1]) by ietfa.amsl.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 572531A08E3 for <internetgovtech@ietfa.amsl.com>; Wed, 12 Mar 2014 22:40:57 -0700 (PDT)
X-Virus-Scanned: amavisd-new at amsl.com
X-Spam-Flag: NO
X-Spam-Score: -1.798
X-Spam-Level:
X-Spam-Status: No, score=-1.798 tagged_above=-999 required=5 tests=[BAYES_00=-1.9, HELO_EQ_SE=0.35, MIME_8BIT_HEADER=0.3, RP_MATCHES_RCVD=-0.547, SPF_PASS=-0.001] autolearn=no
Received: from mail.ietf.org ([4.31.198.44]) by localhost (ietfa.amsl.com [127.0.0.1]) (amavisd-new, port 10024) with ESMTP id Otc6d-5Mr6HW for <internetgovtech@ietfa.amsl.com>; Wed, 12 Mar 2014 22:40:56 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from mail.frobbit.se (mail.frobbit.se [85.30.129.176]) by ietfa.amsl.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 21D1A1A08DC for <internetgovtech@iab.org>; Wed, 12 Mar 2014 22:40:56 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from ix-2.local (frobbit.cust.teleservice.net [85.30.128.225]) by mail.frobbit.se (Postfix) with ESMTPSA id 05D0522898; Thu, 13 Mar 2014 06:40:49 +0100 (CET)
Message-ID: <532144E0.2080302@frobbit.se>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2014 06:40:48 +0100
From: Patrik Fältström <paf@frobbit.se>
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.9; rv:24.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/24.3.0
MIME-Version: 1.0
To: Geoff Huston <gih@apnic.net>, l.wood@surrey.ac.uk
References: <53066F72.6080809@cisco.com> <CF2CB88C.1B2CA%alissa@cooperw.in> <53078600.3090104@cisco.com> <CF2CCDF6.1B3E7%alissa@cooperw.in> <53086568.7050707@cisco.com> <3FFD6830-DC12-4707-AE2B-0FE1F251B198@vigilsec.com> <530921E3.7060005@cisco.com> <DFC22E37-7FA1-4973-A804-73C00685419C@iab.org> <DF55C3B2-FF68-4001-B778-4CBC4354CAB6@iab.org> <39ED9EBA-C644-40A4-B45B-9764032CE277@apnic.net> <BA199E69-BA8D-4CFF-BEE4-DE444115C4D9@shinkuro.com>, <0F0A2653-1FC8-475F-B123-01E96E26CECF@apnic.net> <290E20B455C66743BE178C5C84F1240847E633476A@EXMB01CMS.surrey.ac.uk> <3F12C9B5-61B6-4C28-B73A-320D80A6AE17@apnic.net>
In-Reply-To: <3F12C9B5-61B6-4C28-B73A-320D80A6AE17@apnic.net>
X-Enigmail-Version: 1.6
Content-Type: multipart/signed; micalg="pgp-sha1"; protocol="application/pgp-signature"; boundary="FOcjmCfeR5xjdFkcSj0Ssadq2fTjXTl2r"
Archived-At: http://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/internetgovtech/CTSLTZXFq0PHwWcvCxVAR-A3uI8
Cc: internetgovtech@iab.org, "ietf@ietf.org Mailing List" <ietf@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Internetgovtech] Guiding the Evolution of the IANA Protocol Parameter Registries
X-BeenThere: internetgovtech@iab.org
X-Mailman-Version: 2.1.15
Precedence: list
List-Id: Internet Governance and IETF technical work <internetgovtech.iab.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <https://www.iab.org/mailman/options/internetgovtech>, <mailto:internetgovtech-request@iab.org?subject=unsubscribe>
List-Archive: <http://www.iab.org/mail-archive/web/internetgovtech/>
List-Post: <mailto:internetgovtech@iab.org>
List-Help: <mailto:internetgovtech-request@iab.org?subject=help>
List-Subscribe: <https://www.iab.org/mailman/listinfo/internetgovtech>, <mailto:internetgovtech-request@iab.org?subject=subscribe>
X-List-Received-Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2014 05:40:57 -0000

On 2014-03-13 06:23, Geoff Huston wrote:
> I personally am in favour of a stronger statement of principle from the IETF in this area, but I'm just one voice, and I sense from the posts for Jari and Eliot that they are unwilling to head further in this direction - fair enough.

FWIW, I support Geoff here, given the history we have seen not only in
direct IETF history but also in other Internet related registries (for
example various TLD-registries).

That said, I at the same time agree with Jari and Eliot that the over
all goal is in the principles. That finding a solution "is implementation".

So, I just would like to have a stronger statement so this is not forgotten.

The copyright for a parameter and its assigments should stay with
whatever organization "owns" that parameter. Not belong to whoever acts
as the care taker of the registry.

That ICANN also say they do not have any interest as the operator in IPR
for the registry is good, but if the registry operator changes, IPR
issues I absolutely would like to see in the agreement(s).

I am because of that of course sort of happy with what Jari and Eliot
stated. This can be found in the principles.

Just do not forget about it...

   Patrik