RE: [ipfix] STCP as a default transport not

"MEYER,JEFFREY D (HP-Cupertino,ex1)" <jeff.meyer2@hp.com> Fri, 10 October 2003 15:13 UTC

From: "MEYER,JEFFREY D (HP-Cupertino,ex1)" <jeff.meyer2@hp.com>
To: 'Benoit Claise' <bclaise@cisco.com>, "MEYER,JEFFREY D (HP-Cupertino,ex1)" <jeff.meyer2@hp.com>
Cc: stbryant@cisco.com, alex.audu@alcatel.com, carter@qosient.com, 'Reinaldo Penno' <rpenno@nortelnetworks.com>, ipfix-chairs@net.doit.wisc.edu, ipfix@net.doit.wisc.edu, rrs@cisco.com
Subject: RE: [ipfix] STCP as a default transport not
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 10:45:37 -0400
Sender: majordomo listserver <majordomo@mil.doit.wisc.edu>

Benoit,

  I am not in any way against specifying IPFIX on top of PR-SCTP,
what I am against is making that the ONLY supported transport.
This is for practical reasons, like availability of implementation.
And as cited before because of transport protocols' affinity
for running in kernel vs. user space, the availability is going
to be a lot slower coming than one might like.

  I would liken this to deciding to define a transport layer
protocol which could only run on IPv6 and not IPv4.  You could,
but if you can run on both, I think there are decided benefits.

  The Diameter authors seemed to have made this pragmatic choice.

  It is a bit ironic that previous decisions of the WG around
choice of candidate protocols were ultimately trumped by "practical
reasons" like NF is more widely deployed, despite the fact
that it was the only protocol with NO binding to a congestion
aware transport.  And now, the arguments seem to be a complete
180 change.

Regards,

  Jeff Meyer