Re: [ipfix] STCP as a default transport not

Benoit Claise <bclaise@cisco.com> Fri, 10 October 2003 10:45 UTC

Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 12:25:50 +0200
From: Benoit Claise <bclaise@cisco.com>
To: "MEYER,JEFFREY D (HP-Cupertino,ex1)" <jeff.meyer2@hp.com>
CC: stbryant@cisco.com, alex.audu@alcatel.com, carter@qosient.com, 'Reinaldo Penno' <rpenno@nortelnetworks.com>, ipfix-chairs@net.doit.wisc.edu, ipfix@net.doit.wisc.edu, rrs@cisco.com
Subject: Re: [ipfix] STCP as a default transport not
Sender: majordomo listserver <majordomo@mil.doit.wisc.edu>

Jeff,

My point is that I'm convinced that SCTP-PR gives all the advantages
in one transport protocol. See the recent postings from Peter Lei; he knows the protocol a lot
better than I do!
Having the full flexibility (reliable, unreliable, partially reliable) in one transport protocol would be a plus.
Let's give the flexibility to the different implementations.
On the top of that, we don't know yet the future applications of IPFIX:
PSAMP is one, exporting SLA information?, some MIB variables export?, etc... everything is possible since IPFIX is a generic
export format.
As I said, I think we should just use the right protocol instead of just
using what exists. IMHO, SCTP_PR should be the target as transport
transport. So, I would vote for SCTP with the PR extension.

Regards, Benoit.