Re: [IPFIX] WG: I-D Action: draft-ietf-ipfix-flow-selection-tech-06.txt

Benoit Claise <bclaise@cisco.com> Fri, 27 May 2011 12:57 UTC

Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 14:42:31 +0200
From: Benoit Claise <bclaise@cisco.com>
To: Brian Trammell <trammell@tik.ee.ethz.ch>
Cc: ipfix@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [IPFIX] WG: I-D Action: draft-ietf-ipfix-flow-selection-tech-06.txt

Hi Brian,
> Hi, Benoit,
>
> I disagree, I think, for two reasons.
>
> First, if IE3 is defined with parallel semantics to IE1 and IE2 (octet and packet delta count), it should provide _delta_ count, not _total_ count, semantics (i.e., subsequent exports are a delta from last export, not a replacement value).
>
> Second, this is an IE with a much more restricted semantic meaning; it refers to Flow Entries (a new bit of flow selection terminology, the difference between which and "Flow" and "Flow Record" is still a bit unclear to me) that are given as _input_ to a (undefined but I presume contextually resolvable) Flow Selection Process.
>
> This is somewhat different than the Flow analog of Packet and Octet Delta Count.
>
> (However, if IE3 was _not_ defined by Cisco with this in mind, and really means "the total number of flows seen at the (Metering Process or analogue) _before_ flow processing", objection withdrawn.)
See RFC5101

  Metering Process

       The Metering Process generates Flow Records.  Inputs to the
       process are packet headers and characteristics observed at an
       Observation Point, and packet treatment at the Observation Point
       (for example, the selected output interface).

Considering that there are no flows as input to the Metering Process, ...

	"the total number of flows seen at the (Metering Process or analogue) _before_ flow processing"

That gives

	"the total number of flows seen at the Flow Selection Process before flow processing"

Which is equivalent to

      This Information Element specifies the current number of all Flow
      Entries that form the parent population as input to the Flow
      Selection Process.

And yes, this is how we used this I.E. in Cisco. See Figure D, RFC 6183

                      IPFIX (Data Records)
                                ^ ^
    +---------------------------|-|------------------------+
    | Original Exporter         | |                        |
    |                           | |                        |
    |     .---------------------|-+-------------------.    |
    |    .----------------------+--------------------.|    |
    |    |           Exporting Process(es)           |'    |
    |    '----------------------^--------------------'     |
    |                           | |                        |
    |     .---------------------|-+-------------------.    |
    |    .----------------------+--------------------.|    |
    |    |          Intermediate Process(es)         |'    |
    |    '---------^-----------------------^---------'     |
    |       (**)   |      Data Records     |   (**)        |
    |   .----------+---------.   .---------+----------.    |
    |   | Metering Process 1 |...| Metering Process N |    |
    |   '----------^---------'   '---------^----------'    |
    |              |                       |               |
    |  .-----------+---------.   .---------+-----------.   |
    |  | Observation Point 1 |...| Observation Point N |   |
             Packets coming into Observation Points

(**) this is where value is metered.

Btw, Tanja, this is one of my important WG-LAST points.
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ipfix-flow-selection-tech-06,
Figure 1, should build on the top of the RFC6183, and clearly explains
where is the Flow Intermediate Process.

Regards, Benoit.