Re: [IPFIX] WG: I-D Action: draft-ietf-ipfix-flow-selection-tech-06.txt

Brian Trammell <trammell@tik.ee.ethz.ch> Fri, 27 May 2011 11:12 UTC

From: Brian Trammell <trammell@tik.ee.ethz.ch>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 13:11:59 +0200
To: Benoit Claise <bclaise@cisco.com>
Cc: ipfix@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [IPFIX] WG: I-D Action: draft-ietf-ipfix-flow-selection-tech-06.txt

Hi, Benoit,

I disagree, I think, for two reasons.

First, if IE3 is defined with parallel semantics to IE1 and IE2 (octet and packet delta count), it should provide _delta_ count, not _total_ count, semantics (i.e., subsequent exports are a delta from last export, not a replacement value).

Second, this is an IE with a much more restricted semantic meaning; it refers to Flow Entries (a new bit of flow selection terminology, the difference between which and "Flow" and "Flow Record" is still a bit unclear to me) that are given as _input_ to a (undefined but I presume contextually resolvable) Flow Selection Process.

This is somewhat different than the Flow analog of Packet and Octet Delta Count.

(However, if IE3 was _not_ defined by Cisco with this in mind, and really means "the total number of flows seen at the (Metering Process or analogue) _before_ flow processing", objection withdrawn.)

Best regards,

Brian