Re: [IPFIX] AD Review of draft-ietf-ipfix-export-per-sctp-stream-02 -> impact on performance and capacity

Benoit Claise <bclaise@cisco.com> Tue, 16 June 2009 20:52 UTC

Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 22:51:56 +0200
From: Benoit Claise <bclaise@cisco.com>
To: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <dromasca@avaya.com>
Cc: "Peter Lei (peterlei)" <peterlei@cisco.com>, Michael Tuexen <tuexen@fh-muenster.de>, IETF IPFIX Working Group <ipfix@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [IPFIX] AD Review of draft-ietf-ipfix-export-per-sctp-stream-02 -> impact on performance and capacity

Dan,
> Please find below the AD review for
> draft-ietf-ipfix-export-per-sctp-stream-02. The document is mature
> enough to go to IETF Last Call. Unless there are any special comments or
> concerns I will send it to IETF Last Call by tomorrow.
>
> Please consider the comments below together with the other IETF Last
> Call comments. The comments are divided into Technical and Editorial
>
> T1. There is not information concerning the impact on performance and
> capacity of the reporting and collecting processes. Should we expect any
> considerable impact on performance and/or capacity? If any
> implementation experience is available I would suggest that we record
> it.

Collecting information from the authors of
draft-stewart-tsvwg-sctpstrrst and
draft-ietf-ipfix-export-per-sctp-stream-02, here are the conclusions:
* We were not too sure what is meant by "performance and capacity" in
this context.
* If the question is about: What's the impact of additional SCTP streams
in an existing session versus opening a new SCTP session? The impact is
minor:
- You have of course a message exchange to add the streams.
- You end up adding 16-24 bytes per stream.
- It is more lightweight to set up additional streams compared to
setting up a new association.
The only thing that comes into my mind is throughput which
* If the question is about the throughput that could be impaired by
processing overhead and message overhead.
- With respect of processing overhead, I have no idea how the
utilization of a large number of streams influences the performance of
the SCTP socket. I could imagine that a lot of state information must be
stored.
- With respect of message overhead, we can say that the fact that we
discourage multiplexing templates and data records of different template
ids may lead to a larger message overhead. If the data record rate is
low for a specific template, the exporting process might not be able to
optimally fill the IPFIX messages. Hence, we have more overhead due to
additional IPFIX message headers and SCTP chunk headers.

Is this what you have in mind?

Regards, Benoit.