Re: [IPFIX] AD Review of draft-ietf-ipfix-export-per-sctp-stream-02 -> impact on performance and capacity

Benoit Claise <bclaise@cisco.com> Fri, 19 June 2009 23:57 UTC

Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 01:57:24 +0200
From: Benoit Claise <bclaise@cisco.com>
To: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <dromasca@avaya.com>
Cc: "Peter Lei (peterlei)" <peterlei@cisco.com>, Michael Tuexen <tuexen@fh-muenster.de>, IETF IPFIX Working Group <ipfix@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [IPFIX] AD Review of draft-ietf-ipfix-export-per-sctp-stream-02 -> impact on performance and capacity

Dan
> Hi Benoit,
>
> Yes, this is the type of information that I was looking for. My reading
> of your answer is that the impact of adding SCTP streams in an existing
> session versus opening a new SCTP session is minor, with a possible plus
> of efficiency at setup time. Processing overhead and message overhead
> may potentially be a problem, and care should be exercised in deployment
> in order to understand the effects.
>
> Can we add corresponding text on this?

Here is our proposal:

What is the performance impact regarding the implementation of these
specifications compared to the IPFIX protocol [RFC5101]?

Although adding the new SCTP streams requires a message exchange, it is
more lightweight to set up additional SCTP streams than to set up a new
SCTP association since the only overhead of adding stream(s) to an
existing SCTP association is the addition of 16-24 more bytes (allocated
in the SCTP association, a single time), whereas setting up a new SCTP
association implies more overhead.

In terms of of throughput impact, the fact that these specifications
discourage multiplexing Templates and Data Records of different Template
IDs may lead to a slightly larger IPFIX Message overhead. If the Data
Record rate is low for a specific Template (hence a specific SCTP
stream), the Exporting Process might not be able to fill the IPFIX
Messages as fully as possible. In such a situation, we could potentially
have an overhead due to additional IPFIX Message headers and SCTP chunk
headers.

Finally, with respect to the processing overhead on the Exporter, a lot
of state information must be stored when a large number of SCTP streams
are used with an SCTP association. The authors have not yet been able to
compare the performance impact of multiple streams within an SCTP
association versus opening the same number of independent SCTP associations.

Fine with you?

Regards, Benoit.