Re: [ippm] I-D Action: draft-ietf-ippm-capacity-metric-method-08.txt

J Ignacio Alvarez-Hamelin <ihameli@cnet.fi.uba.ar> Tue, 30 March 2021 11:42 UTC

From: J Ignacio Alvarez-Hamelin <ihameli@cnet.fi.uba.ar>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2021 08:42:01 -0300
Cc: magnus.westerlund=40ericsson.com@dmarc.ietf.org, ippm@ietf.org
To: Ruediger.Geib@telekom.de
Subject: Re: [ippm] I-D Action: draft-ietf-ippm-capacity-metric-method-08.txt

Hi Rüdiger,

There is a family of different congestion avoidance algorithms, but the goal is to achieve the maximum throughput. Nevertheless, it is clear that some part of the network along the path from sender and server is congested; any of these algorithms will start to work. In other words, you have to put your server close enough to your link under measurement. The popular M-Lab uses at least three TCP flows to determine the rate as a way to trying to avoid this kind of problem, but in that case, servers are far away.
Among the possible algorithms to maximize the uses vs. congestion in a short time, there is BBR used by QUIC (if I remember well):

 http://dl.ifip.org/db/conf/networking/networking2018/2B1-1570416152.pdf
 https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0140366419303470?casa_token=ggSPL6OXQH0AAAAA:zXNHOPgQeydZo3XBJRbeAApYrGQ7iZPocVZHCu11P19Hs_KdwRO9sMEse-HhKgiRGHsJeR4_MK0

I hope this answer the question and give a better understanding, cheers,

	Ignacio

Dr. Ing. José Ignacio Alvarez-Hamelin
CONICET and Facultad de Ingeniería, Universidad de Buenos Aires
Av. Paseo Colón 850 - C1063ACV - Buenos Aires - Argentina
+54 (11) 5285 0716 / 5285 0705
e-mail: ihameli@cnet.fi.uba.ar
web: http://cnet.fi.uba.ar/ignacio.alvarez-hamelin/