RE: [dhcwg] [v6ops] Re: Question to DHCPv6 Relay Implementors regarding draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-pd-relay-requirements

Vasilenko Eduard <vasilenko.eduard@huawei.com> Fri, 16 October 2020 07:20 UTC

From: Vasilenko Eduard <vasilenko.eduard@huawei.com>
To: "Templin (US), Fred L" <Fred.L.Templin@boeing.com>
CC: v6ops list <v6ops@ietf.org>, IPv6 List <ipv6@ietf.org>, Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>, dhcwg <dhcwg@ietf.org>
Subject: RE: [dhcwg] [v6ops] Re: Question to DHCPv6 Relay Implementors regarding draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-pd-relay-requirements
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2020 07:19:56 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.47.204.25]

Hi Fred,
I do not fully agree to you.

Yes, such data plane problem (like you described) could happen in the ordinary routing environment.
Theoretically, it could be created by routing protocol (in control plane).
Practically, all routing protocols are robust enough for such situation not to happen - they do have some means to synchronize states (at least tracking "neighbors").

But it is not related to DHCP-PD discussion.
DHCP-PD is stateless without information synchronization after link up. Even "link up" is not possible to track if it is multi-hop through bridge.
It is easy to create such amnesia: just push power button on the stub router.

Hence, I do not understand the point of your generalization.
It is not proper generalization, because it does not work in all environments.
Especially it is important that it does not work in DHCP-PD environment.

Eduard