Re: problem statement [was Re: New Version Notification for draft-hinden-ipv4flag-00.txt]

Alexandre Petrescu <alexandre.petrescu@gmail.com> Mon, 20 November 2017 14:50 UTC

Subject: Re: problem statement [was Re: New Version Notification for draft-hinden-ipv4flag-00.txt]
To: ipv6@ietf.org
From: Alexandre Petrescu <alexandre.petrescu@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2017 15:50:06 +0100

Le 19/11/2017 à 08:50, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ a écrit :
> Agree with your analysis, but the problem I see is that many WiFi
> networks are very simple, even with high level of congestion, and
> they may not be able to apply such simple filters. Even home
> networks may have the same issues.
>
> One way or the other, hosts get updated frequently, but switches,
> APs and L2 infrastructure don’t, even CEs or small routers in many
> hotspots don’t get updated.
>
> Also, IPv4-only devices are typically never updated. For example,
> you buy today an IP camera, and is not easy to find one which is
> dual-stack.

I tend to agree with this text, Jordi.

Recently I contacted a manufacturer of advanced camera-like lidars.
They do IPv4 only and broadcast to 255.255.255.255.  They request the
user to use closed circuits to avoid the noise due to broadcast.  They
said they dont have plans for IPv6 in the camera, in their roadmaps.

So we filed a ticket to add IPv6 in the device, hoping for some
resolution in a certain future.

Alex

  Of course, in this case the problem is different, because