Re: Re: DAD question

Ray Hunter <v6ops@globis.net> Thu, 16 August 2012 08:45 UTC

Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 10:40:41 +0200
From: Ray Hunter <v6ops@globis.net>
To: "Fred Baker (fred)" <fred@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: Re: DAD question
Cc: "ipv6@ietf.org 6man" <ipv6@ietf.org>

I agree with you that there's a potential problem, and treating the MAC
address as one source of a seed is a potential solution.

I think the discussion would benefit if there was a clear distinction
made between the BIA (burned in address aka native address that is
supposedly guaranteed to be unique by the delegated authority from the
IEEE to the OUI) and a locally administered address (g/l bit).

DECnet IV used the latter, and hence avoiding duplicate MAC addresses
would depend on actions of local administrators. If admins don't do
their job correctly they will certainly not be unique, as the MAC
address is strongly tied to the DECnet IV area and node addresses. The
IPv6 stack would theoretically still have the former BIA available to
the drivers to either act as a seed or to use for SLAAC.

Similar situation for Cisco HSRP, VRRP, HP HACMP etc. where there is a
deliberate duplication of MAC addresses, and some higher layer protocol
ensures only one is active at any one time. These machines still all
have a native MAC and IP address, as well as the floating virtual MAC
address and IP address.

VM's would not generally have any unique globally assigned BIA, and only
have a locally administered MAC address generated by the local VM code,
plus perhaps access to one or more global physical NIC adapter
address(es) (shared with the host OS).

I agree tight bidirectional coupling of L2 address & L3 address is
generally a bad idea (IPX over FDDI, Token Ring, + Ethernet), but it
could have avoided many ND resource depletion problems/ potential DoS
vectors.

I have thought of posting something on VLSM/SLAAC, where the interface
identifier is simply an automatically assigned semi-random number like
the Appletalk node address in LLAP. That would potentially be beneficial
in avoiding duplicate MAC addresses, for encapsulations on systems
without a MAC address, and also in reducing resources required for ND
and any other processes that need to log/track non-existent nodes such
as firewalls and security scanners (there would be no hard link to /64
any more, and so admins would be free to assign longer prefix lengths).
VLSM worked quite well in IPv4.

regards,
RayH