Re: New Version Notification for draft-halpern-6man-nd-pre-resolve-addr-00.txt

Erik Nordmark <nordmark@acm.org> Sat, 18 January 2014 05:02 UTC

Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 21:01:55 -0800
From: Erik Nordmark <nordmark@acm.org>
To: Greg Daley <gdaley@au.logicalis.com>, 'Ing-Wher Chen' <ing-wher.chen@ericsson.com>, "ipv6@ietf.org" <ipv6@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: New Version Notification for draft-halpern-6man-nd-pre-resolve-addr-00.txt

Greg,

In addition to your concern about multicast snooping environments, the
DAD packets are not reliably delivered. If e.g. there is a short WiFi
drop, the spanning tree is reconverging, etc then the single transmitted
DAD packet will not be received.

Thus as best this will collect some entries in the neighbor cache.

It isn't at all clear when a node should discard entries from its
neighbor cache. That is potentially problematic when there are lots of
devices that pick new temporary IPv6 addresses each time they power on
since that will force routers to sooner or later discard entries from
the neighbor cache. The routers would have to guess which addresses
might still be assigned to the hosts.

Thus all in all this is not a robust approach to the problem.

    Erik