RE: Stephen Farrell's Discuss on draft-ietf-6man-stable-privacy-addresses-16: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

<l.wood@surrey.ac.uk> Tue, 21 January 2014 17:45 UTC

From: l.wood@surrey.ac.uk
To: fgont@si6networks.com, stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie, iesg@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 17:40:03 +0000
Subject: RE: Stephen Farrell's Discuss on draft-ietf-6man-stable-privacy-addresses-16: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)
acceptlanguage: en-US, en-GB
Cc: 6man-chairs@tools.ietf.org, ipv6@ietf.org, draft-ietf-6man-stable-privacy-addresses@tools.ietf.org

See (and cite) RFC6151 section 2.

MD5 is still useful as a checksum for really big files, where you're looking for accidental differences introduced by errors, and MD5's efficiency of computation is a win. But that says nothing about being tamper-proof. Think of it as a big CRC32, and CRC32 is not seen as having security properties.

In an explicit crypto hash context where you're relying on the security properties, don't use MD5.

Lloyd Wood
http://about.me/lloydwood