Re: [ire] New version (4) of the spec and new draft on DNRD (1)

Francisco Obispo <fobispo@isc.org> Fri, 14 December 2012 18:11 UTC

From: Francisco Obispo <fobispo@isc.org>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 10:10:56 -0800
To: "Gould, James" <JGould@verisign.com>
Cc: Luis Muñoz <lem@isc.org>, "ire@ietf.org" <ire@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [ire] New version (4) of the spec and new draft on DNRD (1)

On Dec 14, 2012, at 10:01 AM, "Gould, James" <JGould@verisign.com> wrote:

> Francisco,
>
> You are adding text to the RFC that doesn't exist.  If the intention was
> to include the "sponsoring client" or "registrar" it would have stated it,
> but it does not.

The problem is, that it doesn't say it's a user either, it says "client", and you could ask yourself, who is the "client" of an EPP service ? we can't assure a registrar, because in a registry model without registrars' it could be the registry or anyone.

>  You can't simply add text that doesn't exist and then
> include that text in a data escrow draft that is based on your
> interpretation.

I did not added any text, it was my interpretation.

> We can agree to disagree on this one, but in either event
> you need to change the description of the field in
> draft-arias-noguchi-dnrd-objects-mapping to match the RFC to support both
> interpretations.  "Client" in our system means user and in your system and
> James's system it means registrar.

That would be Francisco Arias (ICANN) or Shoji Noguchi (JPRS).

>  The data escrow should correctly
> capture the data stored by the registry and not attempt to normalize it to
> some interpretation that does match the RFC.
>
> The usefulness of the information for an EBERO provider is a separate
> topic from the interpretation of the EPP RFC's.  We would need to come to
> an agreement with how these elements should be handled (e.g. user deposit,
> simple string) by the EBERO provider.

Well actually it is not, it is what we're trying to discuss here, we are trying to figure out how to make the Data escrow system work for Internet Registries.

Francisco