Re: [its] New draft on scenarios and requirements for IP in ITS

"Ivancic, William D. (GRC-RHN0)" <william.d.ivancic@nasa.gov> Mon, 16 July 2012 13:54 UTC

From: "Ivancic, William D. (GRC-RHN0)" <william.d.ivancic@nasa.gov>
To: Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 08:55:39 -0500
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "its@ietf.org" <its@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [its] New draft on scenarios and requirements for IP in ITS

Alex,

I think you might want to consider writing the requirements to be a little more generic.  As is, at least to me, some of the requirements almost specify a solution.  This is a always a bit difficult as you may have a solution in mind, but others may have a different solution that may be better.  If the requirements are more generic to the problem rather than specifying a solution, you allow a broader solution space.  I tired some modifications below.

Also, I moved R3 before R0-2.

   o  R0.  Support of multiple interfaces: The vehicle (not restricted
      to the MR physically) should support several interfaces towards
      the infrastructure. And at least one internal to the vehicle.

o  R1.  IP addressing within each vehicle for Sub-networks support: Mobile router support several sub-networks hosting stakeholder networks,

   o  R2.  IP addressing on the interface between vehicles. (May or may not be globally reachable)

   o  R3.  Globally Reachable from Internet: (This may be a globally reachable address, or perhaps something else.)

   o  R4.  Quality of Service: One stakeholder may request for a minimum
      bandwidth for its applications.  QoS should ensure those minimums
      are taken into accounts.

   o  R5.  Broadcasted Alerts support: For example, Along the highway, the MR may
      receive alerts about accident through 802.11p or some other mechanism.

   o  R6.  Store, Carry and Forward: Improve communication efficiency by
      delaying transfer of information.

   o  R7.  Efficient inter-vehicular routing: For Example, may take advantage of geographic information (not
      restricted to geonetworking).

   o  R8.  Security: MR must prevent routing of packets between sub
      networks and ensure protection of those data within the vehicle.

   o  R9.  Continuity of ongoing sessions: it is desirable that ongoing
      sessions between one device within the vehicle and one device in
      the Internet is maintained ongoing during vehicle movements, and
      upon handovers between heterogeneous access points.

   o  R10.  Reachability at permanent home addresses: it is desirable
      that each device connected inside a vehicle to be reachable at a
      permanent fixed address, for all other IP devices deployed in the
      Internet.    (I think R3 takes care of this.)