Re: draft-mjsraman-l2vpn-vpls-tictoc-label-hop-00.txt ...

Robert Raszuk <robert@raszuk.net> Mon, 09 July 2012 08:59 UTC

Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2012 10:59:46 +0200
From: Robert Raszuk <robert@raszuk.net>
To: Balaji venkat Venkataswami <balajivenkat299@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: draft-mjsraman-l2vpn-vpls-tictoc-label-hop-00.txt ...
Cc: l2vpn@ietf.org, Shankar Raman M J <mjsraman@gmail.com>, Bhargav Bhikkaji <bharbhi@gmail.com>

Balaji,

Many thx for clearly describing your target.

I am of the opinion that your scheme does not protect from compromised
ASBR as once hacker has control of the ASBR he can instantiate any vrf
locally and inject data from the ASBR itself into any VPN using your
scheme.

For the link between ASBR yes you have a valid point. But note that over
this link both ISPs exchange their precious infrastructure routes
(addresses and labels to reach PEs) which if compromised can cause much
more harm then injecting some packets into a VPN.

Therefor for the case of ASBR to ASBR link being compromized I would
much more see local link level security (ex: encryption) for both data
and control planes rather then change of the VPN label allocation scheme
in both L3VPN networks.

Your scheme just makes the guess harder not that it eliminates the
attacks. From the point of view of compromised inter-as link an attacker
can sweep the VPN label range and still find the matching ones for some
duration of time.

Also I have a different question ...

In each ISP there are 100s of PEs participating in given VPN and perhaps
very few ASBRs with option C.

Each PE iBGP peers with RR and advertised the VPN label. RR is
advertising this label to other PEs in a given ISP domain as well as
over eBGP multihop other RRs in other option C domian.

Are you envisioning in your scheme direct BGP sessions between all
participating in option C PEs ? Are you envisioning PTP full mesh
between all PEs in all domains ? How PE if he has today a single IBGP
session to vpnv4 RR is going to differentiate between VPN labels he want
to advertise locally within his domain (as today) and those which would
be used for Inter-AS option C ?

Thx,
R.