Re: L2VPN (Re-)charter: Service Convergence

Shane Amante <shane@castlepoint.net> Tue, 08 April 2008 05:20 UTC

From: Shane Amante <shane@castlepoint.net>
To: BALUS Florin <Florin.Balus@alcatel-lucent.com>
Subject: Re: L2VPN (Re-)charter: Service Convergence
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2008 23:20:48 -0600
Cc: l2vpn@ietf.org
Sender: l2vpn-bounces@ietf.org

Hi Florin,

Please see below.

On Apr 3, 2008, at 3:07 AM, BALUS Florin wrote:
> Shane,
> See below..

So, you're thinking of something similar to what's illustrated in
Section 11.3 and/or 11.4 of draft-ietf-pwe3-redundancy-bit-00?  I
think this raises the complexity vs. today's architecture of a full-
mesh of only active PW's between a set of VPLS PE's with l2vpn-
signaling to resolve a backup path when there is a failure of the
primary path over the PSN.

It would be useful to hear from others if there is a need for this or,
instead, it can be solved for with multi-homed CE's to two, different
PE's.  For now, I'm still leaning toward the original text (which
doesn't include multi-homed VPLS meshes), unless we hear from others
on the need to add redundant meshes between VPLS domains.  Here's the
original text.
---cut here---
6. Improved service convergence for multi-homed CE's to VPLS PE's.
    Specifically, upon failure of a primary path from a CE to VPLS PE,
    initiate a rapid switch-over to an alternate path.  If required,
    interactions with native service-layer resiliency mechanisms will be
    provided via solutions from other IETF WG's such as PWE3.
---cut here---

Thanks,

-shane

>>> draft-muley-pwe3-redundancy (adopted as PWE3
>>> draft-ietf-pwe3-redundancy-00.txt) can be definitely applied to