RE: L2VPN (Re-)charter: Service Convergence

"BALUS Florin" <Florin.Balus@alcatel-lucent.com> Wed, 02 April 2008 21:40 UTC

Subject: RE: L2VPN (Re-)charter: Service Convergence
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 16:39:48 -0500
From: BALUS Florin <Florin.Balus@alcatel-lucent.com>
To: Shane Amante <shane@castlepoint.net>, l2vpn@ietf.org
Sender: l2vpn-bounces@ietf.org

Shane,
See in-line...

Not really. What I had in mind was more along the following:
a) CEs multi-homed to different VPLS PEs
b) a VPLS domain multi-homed to another VPLS domain: e.g. a VPLS mesh in
domain 1 multihomed to a VPLS mesh in domain 2.
Examples of criteria that may define what a VPLS domain is: geographical
(metro, national, international), administrative different
organizations/providers) etc...

> Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but PWE3 has already covered
> multi-homing of a MTU-s to two, different PE-rs'es in
> draft-muley-pwe3-redundancy-02?
>   Or, is there addt'l work that L2VPN WG needs to take care of
> specifically for that case?

draft-muley-pwe3-redundancy (adopted as PWE3
draft-ietf-pwe3-redundancy-00.txt) can be definitely applied to optimize
the procedures described in section 10.2 of RFC 4762 (VPLS MTU-s to
PE-rs resiliency). Still I think there is a need to have a discussion
about usage in a VPLS context to ensure interoperability, including an
update on how to reflect the PW transitions in LDP MAC Flush.

Also this sort of resiliency (1 MTU-s to 2 PE-rs, triangle like) might
not be enough for the interconnection of two VPLS mesh domains: i.e. the
MTU-s will be a single point of failure. More like a square
interconnection is required here where 2 VPLS PEs in domain 1 are
connected to 2 VPLS PEs in domain 2.

>  > Specifically, upon failure of a primary
>  > path from a between CEs and VPLS PEs or between VPLS
> domains, initiate a
>  > rapid switch-over to an alternate path. If required,
> interactions with
>  > native service-layer resiliency mechanisms will be provided via
>  > solutions from other IETF WG's such as PWE3.
>  > FB>
>  >
>  >
>  > The L2VPN WG currently works on the following tasks:
>  > [..]
>  > - Identify requirements for multi-homing of CE's to VPLS PE's.
>  >   elements.  Based on these requirements, define solutions for
>  >   achieving fast convergence after a switchover to an
> alternate path,
>  >   for example through optimized MAC flushing within a VPLS domain.
>  >
>  > FB> Suggest changing this one to the following text:
>  > - Identify requirements for different multi-homing
> solutions: i.e. CEs
>  > to VPLS Pes or between VPLS domains. Based on these
> requirements, define
>  > solutions for achieving fast convergence after a switchover to an
>  > alternate path, for example through optimized MAC flushing
> within a VPLS
>  > domain.
>  > FB>
>
> I have the same question here as I do above.  Once we're on the same
> page, then I think we can tighten the suggested text a little further.

I hope the above answer addressed this one too.