RE: L2VPN (Re-)charter: Service Convergence

"BALUS Florin" <Florin.Balus@alcatel-lucent.com> Thu, 03 April 2008 09:08 UTC

Subject: RE: L2VPN (Re-)charter: Service Convergence
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2008 04:07:08 -0500
From: BALUS Florin <Florin.Balus@alcatel-lucent.com>
To: Shane Amante <shane@castlepoint.net>
Cc: l2vpn@ietf.org
Sender: l2vpn-bounces@ietf.org

Shane,
See below..

This addresses the case of redundant MS-PW path between two VPLS PEs.
Assume you have the following scenario:
VPLS Mesh 1 - PE1 - redundant MS-PW path as in l2vpn signaling - PE2 -
VPLS Mesh 2.
If PE1 or PE2 fails there is no way to communicate between the 2 meshes,
it does not matter how many paths you have in between them.

We need to have at least other 2 gateway Pes - e.g. PE1' and PE2' - to
totally eliminate single point of failure at both sides.