L2VPN (Re-)charter: Service Convergence

Shane Amante <shane@castlepoint.net> Wed, 02 April 2008 14:02 UTC

Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 08:02:38 -0600
From: Shane Amante <shane@castlepoint.net>
To: l2vpn@ietf.org
Subject: L2VPN (Re-)charter: Service Convergence
Sender: l2vpn-bounces@ietf.org

Loa, Florin, Ali,

------Loa wrote------
 > - I'm a bit uncertain about whether there are one or two multi-homing
 >   scenarios in the text
 >   -- VPLS using multi-homed CEs
 >   -- multi-homed VPLS solutions

See Florin's suggested text below.  I think Florin is suggesting to
clarify that we need both, (if I interpret your 2nd bullet correctly).

------Florin wrote------
 > The L2VPN WG scope includes the following:
 > [..]
 > 6. Improved service convergence for multi-homed CE's to VPLS PE's.
 >    Specifically, upon failure of a primary path from a CE to VPLS PE,
 >    initiate a rapid switch-over to an alternate path.  If required,
 >    interactions with native service-layer resiliency mechanisms will be
 >    provided via solutions from other IETF WG's such as PWE3.
 >
 > FB> Suggest we modify the text to include also multi-homing between 2
 > VPLS domains, see below an example of text:
 > 6. Improved service convergence for multi-homing solutions: CEs to VPLS
 > PEs or between VPLS domains.

Can you clarify this further?  Specifically, do you mean the following
two cases:
a)  One CE to two different VPLS PE's in a single AS; and,
b)  One CE to two different VPLS PE's, each in a different AS?

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but PWE3 has already covered multi-homing
of a MTU-s to two, different PE-rs'es in draft-muley-pwe3-redundancy-02?
  Or, is there addt'l work that L2VPN WG needs to take care of
specifically for that case?

 > Specifically, upon failure of a primary
 > path from a between CEs and VPLS PEs or between VPLS domains, initiate a
 > rapid switch-over to an alternate path. If required, interactions with
 > native service-layer resiliency mechanisms will be provided via
 > solutions from other IETF WG's such as PWE3.
 > FB>
 >

 > The L2VPN WG currently works on the following tasks:
 > [..]
 > - Identify requirements for multi-homing of CE's to VPLS PE's.
 >   elements.  Based on these requirements, define solutions for
 >   achieving fast convergence after a switchover to an alternate path,
 >   for example through optimized MAC flushing within a VPLS domain.
 >
 > FB> Suggest changing this one to the following text:
 > - Identify requirements for different multi-homing solutions: i.e. CEs
 > to VPLS Pes or between VPLS domains. Based on these requirements, define
 > solutions for achieving fast convergence after a switchover to an
 > alternate path, for example through optimized MAC flushing within a VPLS
 > domain.

I have the same question here as I do above.  Once we're on the same
page, then I think we can tighten the suggested text a little further.

------Ali wrote------
 > v) "6. Improved service convergence for multi-homed CE's to VPLS PE's.
 >    Specifically, upon failure of a primary path from a CE to VPLS PE,
 >    initiate a rapid switch-over to an alternate path.  If required,
 >    interactions with native service-layer resiliency mechanisms will be
 >    provided via solutions from other IETF WG's such as PWE3."
 >
 > AS> We should create another bullet to include multi-homing between two
 > or more VPLS networks.

Ali: I think you're asking for the same thing as Florin, (see above).
If not, please clarify further.

Thanks,

-shane