Re: Poll to adopt initial milestones for the new L3VPN charter

Yakov Rekhter <yakov@juniper.net> Mon, 20 September 2010 14:51 UTC

To: ycai <ycai@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: Poll to adopt initial milestones for the new L3VPN charter
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 07:49:29 -0700
From: Yakov Rekhter <yakov@juniper.net>
Cc: Thomas Morin <thomas.morin@orange-ftgroup.com>, l3vpn@ietf.org

Hi,

> I don't think IETF has the power to mandate what vendors will implement or
> what a provider will deploy.   Furthermore, fearing of "fragmentation of
> standards and implementation" is not a technical reason for defining WG
> charters and milestones.  FWIW, I had the same fear a few years ago on the
> exact same subject.  Today, the different solutions do exist and are
> deployed.  They are not going away whether we like it or not.
>
> I'm not sure whether it is realistic to ask every WG member to work on
> everything.  Maybe I'm being naive. But if we are serious about the role of
> the WG (or any IETF WG) and interested in contributing,  we should be trying
> to help each other on improving the solutions instead of trying to come up
> with new reasons to stop each other from discussing and advancing them.

Having few members of the WG interested in working on a particular
item is *not* sufficient for accepting this item as the WG item.
The set of items that a WG is working on is determined by the
*consensus* of the WG.

Moreover, in deciding which items to accept as the WG items, we
need to keep in mind that the WG has limited resources, which may
place limits on the number of items that the WG is working on.

Yakov.