Re: Poll to adopt initial milestones for the new L3VPN charter

Thomas Morin <thomas.morin@orange-ftgroup.com> Wed, 29 September 2010 13:38 UTC

Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 15:36:58 +0200
From: Thomas Morin <thomas.morin@orange-ftgroup.com>
To: "NAPIERALA, MARIA H (ATTLABS)" <mn1921@att.com>
Subject: Re: Poll to adopt initial milestones for the new L3VPN charter
Cc: L3VPN <l3vpn@ietf.org>

  Hello Maria,

NAPIERALA, MARIA H (ATTLABS):
> actually, you have listed a technical reason for coupling acceptance of "Wildcard S-PMSIs" with acceptance of "PIM without MI-PMSI", namely that Wildcard S-PMSI, quote, “is a key building block of the ‘PIM over MS-PMSI’ approach”.

First, what you say above is incorrect : even though adopting a ‘PIM
over MS-PMSI’ draft would require a solution for signaling wildcard
S-PMSI, there are self-supporting drivers for having "Wildcard S-PMSI
signaling", independently on some kind of ‘PIM without an MI-PMSI’ approach.

Also, let's keep in mind that we are talking about *milestones* :
assuming we would adopt "PIM without an MI-PMSI" as a milestone, it does
not imply we would necessarily adopt the "PIM over MS-PMSI" draft: we
could, but nothing a priori prevents another solution to be adopted,
including one not depending on Wildcard S-PMSI signaling.

So no, I don't think there is any reason to support that adopting
Wildcard S-PMSI as a milestone would mandate also having "PIM without an
MI-PMSI" as a milestone.

> One or two people cannot decide which MVPN documents/improvements are to be worked on by the WG and which are not, because the latter improvements do not fit those people “strategy”.

You are taking words out of my mouth.

-Thomas