Re: [ldapext] DBIS - new IETF drafts

Howard Chu <hyc@highlandsun.com> Mon, 06 January 2014 17:40 UTC

Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2014 09:40:13 -0800
From: Howard Chu <hyc@highlandsun.com>
To: Mark R Bannister <dbis@proseconsulting.co.uk>, ldapext@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [ldapext] DBIS - new IETF drafts

Mark R Bannister wrote:
> In August this year, I submitted some new IETF drafts with the intent
> that they would replace NIS and RFC2307.  It introduces Directory Based
> Information Services (DBIS).
>
> Michael Ströder suggested I post a link to this mailing list.  The
> following article (and further articles on my blog) discuss some of the
> aspects of DBIS, and link to all of the relevant internet drafts:
> http://technicalprose.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/introducing-dbis.html
>
> I am currently working on a reference implementation here:
>       http://sourceforge.net/projects/dbis/
>
> This may be coming out of the blue for many of you, and I appreciate you
> may need some time to read and digest my drafts, and then ask me lots of
> questions.
>
> But my first question to you is, where is the best place for discussion
> related to these drafts?  Is this the mailing list to use?

Yes, this is the correct list.

I must say I'm alarmed at seeing a new proposal that is primarily based on
NIS-compatible attribute values. This is exactly the same fundamental problem
in the original RFC2307 which made it less than useful for non-Solaris-based
OSs like AIX and HPUX. This is the same flaw that I attempted to correct in my
updated draft http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-howard-rfc2307bis-02

If you're going to all the trouble of storing data into a universally
accessible distributed database, you must store it in a canonical format, not
a particular OS-specific format as NIS/RFC2307 did.

A lot of the data elements and behaviors that the DBIS spec defines appear to
be client-implementation-specific details. It seems to me their definition is
inappropriate in (outside the scope of) a universally accessible distributed
data context.

The discussion of caching here
http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-bannister-dbis-mapping-02.txt is one such example
- this is purely a client-side implementation issue. Also you give nscd as an
example, and nscd has been thoroughly discredited and is well known to be
unsuitable for real use. Critical deployments can use a local LDAP server with
a replica of the central data, to avoid error-prone caching implementations.
This is a commonly recommended approach when using OpenLDAP nssov, for example.

I agree that this area of spec needs to be polished up, but not by
disregarding all of the work that was done and experience that has been gained
since the original RFC2307 was published.