Re: [ledbat] New Version Notification for draft-ietf-ledbat-congestion-07.txt

Dario Rossi <dario.rossi@enst.fr> Wed, 20 July 2011 17:47 UTC

Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 19:47:09 +0200
From: Dario Rossi <dario.rossi@enst.fr>
To: ledbat@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [ledbat] New Version Notification for draft-ietf-ledbat-congestion-07.txt

Hello all,

I have gone only through section 5.3. Fairness Among LEDBAT Flows:  I
can say I *almost* entirely agree with 5.3 except that in real life
fairness issue remains with *backlogged* flows, while the drafts mislead
the reader into believing this is not the case

once again,  Fig1, pag2 in [ARXIV] has been gathered on a *real testbed
with libUTP code* https://github.com/bittorrent/libutp  --  basically,
that figure it confirms what we early saw via ns2 simulation in Fig3
pag5 in [ICCCN].

I am not saying this is *the default settings for BitTorrent* where we
expect may short flows due to chunk based transmission (called otherwise
in the draft but I am perfectly fine with the draft wording) to lessen
latecomer effect

at the same time, imo the IETF LEDBAT draft should be applicable to a
larger extent, where *possibly LEDBAT is used for backlogged transfers*
(eg. as simple as a couple of low priority background FTP transfers over
LEDBAT): and in that settings, there is no way imo you can get rid of
latecomer with aiad.

however,  I am not seeing any trace of this in the draft; rather, I see
that 5.3 ends with:

         "With a small number of LEDBAT flows, system noise may
sufficiently regulate the late-comer's advantage."

If I would be editing the document myself, I would rather write (sorry
for being a pain in the neck, but I am technically conviced of that point):

         "With a small number of LEDBAT flows, system noise may
sufficiently regulate the late-comer's advantage provided flows are non
backlogged. In case of backlogged connections, latecomer advantage may
still arise [ARXIV]."

imo, anybody taking the libUTP code and redoing the simple testbed
experiment can convice himself latecomer truly holds: i.e., [ARIXV] is
right and 5.3 is wrong (I think I cannot make the point more clear than
that)

however, as I am not an author of the draft, I think that adoption of
the above text is a matter of the discussion of the WG: thus, if the WG
thinks that nowhere on earth we are ever gonna see backlogged
connections again, then no harm will be done and 5.3 can stay as it is

regards,
D.

[ARXIV] G. Carofiglio, L. Muscariello, D. Rossi and S. Valenti,
"Rethinking low extra delay background transport protocols"
http://arxiv.org/abs/1010.5623

[ICCCN] D. Rossi, C. Testa, S. Valenti and L. Muscariello, *LEDBAT: the
new BitTorrent congestion control protocol*
<http://www.enst.fr/%7Edrossi/paper/rossi10icccn.pdf> . In
/International Conference on Computer Communication Networks
(ICCCN'10)/, Zurich, Switzerland, August 2-5 2010.