Re: [lisp] Adoption of draft-chiappa-lisp-architecture-01 and draft-chiappa-lisp-introduction-01

Ronald Bonica <rbonica@juniper.net> Wed, 05 September 2012 01:12 UTC

From: Ronald Bonica <rbonica@juniper.net>
To: "Templin, Fred L" <Fred.L.Templin@boeing.com>, Noel Chiappa <jnc@mercury.lcs.mit.edu>, "lisp@ietf.org" <lisp@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2012 21:10:53 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [lisp] Adoption of draft-chiappa-lisp-architecture-01 and draft-chiappa-lisp-introduction-01

Hi Fred,

The term EID bothers me too, but for a different reason. The function of an EID varies depending upon your location with respect the interface that the EID references. If you are behind the same ETR as the referenced interface, the EID both locates and identifies the referenced interface. If you are not behind the same ETR as the referenced interface, the EID only identifies the interface.

At this point, it would be painful to start using a new term. Probably the best that we can do is to point out that the term EID might be a bit of a misnomer.

                                         Ron