Re: [lisp] A Stab At Opportunistic Encryption for LISP

Edward Lopez <elopez@fortinet.com> Wed, 05 March 2014 13:36 UTC

From: Edward Lopez <elopez@fortinet.com>
To: Roger Jørgensen <rogerj@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2014 13:36:07 +0000
x-originating-ip: [31.133.165.29]
Cc: "lisp@ietf.org list" <lisp@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [lisp] A Stab At Opportunistic Encryption for LISP

Roger,

Perfectly fair comments. I can only apologize by saying that security companies like Fortinet are highly protective of their intellectual property.  As a product VP, any external submissions I make are internally subject to legal review.  As this was my first draft submission, and my company’s first forays in IETF WG participation, I was blocked pending internal review.  To satisfy both the IETF Note Well as well as my company’s internal policies, I was effectively gagged.  I did not post to any WG during that time.  This was my situation until I met with counsel back at HQ while attending the RSA conference last week.

I could have submitted the draft at that time, but as you noted, Dino’s draft was up for discussion, and I thought it best not to confuse the topic.  However, prior to my going silent, there was a direction towards performing a single packet exchange for key material.  I also admit that we had differences regarding my suggestion to use IPSec ESP as the mechanism for encrypting LISP packets.  As my draft suggests, I still feel that while the use of mapping messages and the Security Type LCAF to perform a key material exchange is highly relevant to our efforts.  However, the creation of yet another encryption mechanism should not be, in my opinion.   IPSec is a very well established, both from a standards standpoint, as well as from access to available code and commercial implementation.  There are also many options to support hardware acceleration of ESP.  I’m generally suggesting that while the use of IKE as a key exchange is not useful to us for obviously reasons, the use of ESP will allow us to provide opportunistic encryption for LISP, with a fast path toward multi-vendor implementation.

I admit there are negative aspects towards using ESP, most notably the increase in packet size and MTU calculation.  My view is that this is an issue with any cryptographic system, particularly in the use of block cyphers such as AES.  Some packet expansion is inevitable.  I also discount arguments that we should not change the outer header encapsulation, as the use of an ESP header both obscures the fact that it is a LISP packet, as well as provides the basic for maintaining the integrity of the encrypted packet via cryptographic hashing.

Again I apologize for the silence, and I hope you can accept my explanation.  It was not my intention to be duplicitous, and I am as well disappointed that there are competitive drafts.  I believe that there is still common ground on the LCAF-based key exchange, and would like to work together on that aspect.  However, in my view, the use of ESP as the LISP packet encryption mechanism is the better path to sustained interoperable implementations.  This is not intended to dissuade efforts towards lisp-crypto, but we may have to agree to disagree relative to the encryption mechanism

Kind Regards
Ed Lopez